Monday, April 18, 2011

All around the Globe

My steampunk journey continues.  I had a globe image that I had been holding on to for a while and with Earth day upon us, this was my inspiration source. I made an early decision to include many round things in my collage.  The background is an amazing sheet of paper from Hollanders.  It is a collage of aged sheet music, ads and books,  I also added my own custom ephemera.  I purchased two lovely vintage rulers with great graphics this weekend at a flea market.  On of them is from right here in Kalamazoo.  I had to make copies of postcards for a recent project and had extra space on my sheet.  I had the brilliant idea to just add my two rulers along the side of my postcards, instant custom deluxe paper!



I started to sift through my stash for images that were round.  I gravitated again towards my deluxe paper.  I cut out a few of the clocks along the edge of the sheet and played around with the layout.  A few stamps add to the layers of elements.  I added the timepiece from Tim Holtz along with a few spinners.  The clock was quite dark, so I used a secret from Tim himself, and added a tiny bit of acrylic paint and quickly wiped it off.  I think this adds a bit of age to the piece.  

For the charm embellishment I started with an old porcelin watch face and a few gears.  A creative spark hit me and I recalled a strand of angel wings I had recently purchased.  I tried to get it to float on the wire in a way that was pleasing, but it just was not working.  I resorted to gluing it and also added another watch piece on top of the face.  I just love how this turned out!  An eyelet was set in the corner of the page which provided a place to add my custom charm.    

Thanks to all the people at OWSE and Simon Says Stamp for always providing such wonderful creative inspiration and support. 

7 comments:

  1. Hello! Your steampunk collage is really good! Love all the elements you used on it! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, this is cool,
    love the steampunk feel to it,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way everything is mixed in and goes so well together

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool piece. Great dimension and so many interesting things to look at. So happy you joined in the fun with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!