Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mermaid Metal Deck

I have to say that my Steampunk Metal Deck is probably one of my favorite creations to date.  When I took this class from Leighanna Light I was so inspired, I purchased another blank deck with the intention to make a mermaid themed project.  I am so very excited to finally have the chance to show it off.





This book is quite heavy and has lots of flotsam and jetsam.  By using all kinds of charms, found objects and trinkets I was able to add the element of movement to this book.  It was difficult to find wire similar to what we had in class for the binding.  I finally scavenged some from a construction site I walk by near work.  The gauge was really too heavy for the project, but I just had a make it work moment.





I used lots of gesso, stamps and stencils when making the backgrounds of each page.  Texture was the intended goal.  The carved mermaid trinket below was given to me by my cousin Gail.  I am so glad to have finally found a use for it.  I added a bit of paint and rub as well as rub and buff to bring out some of the intricately carved details. 




This was one of my favorite pages.  I love the look of the real sand as well as the rusted mermaid with her filigree backdrop.  The texture of the wavy page is delightful too.  The sand used here was from Mud Puddles.  I ran out of it quickly though and had to improvise on a few other pages. I was surprised at what I was able to achieve with a bit of experimenting. 




This is another top notch set of pages.  The one with Graphic 45's Botanicabella has to be my favorite.  I affixed my altered crab a bit off the page and then managed to use the holes by his legs to attach more junque.  There is also lots of texture made with my very own sand mixture. 




The stencil I used here reminded me of bubbles, fitting in with the underwater idea.  I love the big carved fish too.



Lots more stuff that I rusted is on display here.  I just love putting age on items and transforming them into little relics.  Here I also tapped into some old German scrap that I have been hording.  I had an entire sheet of really interesting fish and shells. 





This art stamp is on that I really enjoy so I was happy to find another application for it.  I also used many random fibers I had on hand to add to the flotsam and jetsam.  Some of them were bits of silk that I hand dyed as taught to me by Joanne Huffman.  I thought the color palate of the fibers fit well with the project, while adding antother textural element. 




The patina on this seahorse took a few times to get it right, working with this medium is very unpredictable at times. 



The image on this card is by Sheila Wolk. She has some really pretty mermaid imagery in her work. I had been hanging on to this greeting card for quite some time.  This special project called me to use it and I have no regrets. 




The waves from this stencil made for another appropriate background.  I used a heavy duty glue to attach many of my precious trinkets to my deck.




Obviously this was an amazing class if I am still using and applying my knowledge almost a year later.  Leighanna is teaching again nearby soon, perhaps I will need to indulge in another class from her! 

Cheers,

Rhea


24 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic project! Really quite incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just amazingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..theres a lot of work gone on there Rhea! truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful deck. I'm so glad I got to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhea,
    This is just wonderful. I love the altered images on the cards each one is so beautiful and unique. thank you for sharing this.
    susan s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is WOWOWOWOWOWOW!! Spectacular job Rhea. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is absolutely stunning!! Gives me great ideas to use for my accumulated stash of mermaids!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a Fabulous book Rhea, Full of texture and inspiration.
    A treasure trove of ideas!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! This is AWESOME! so beautiful and all those details. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that steampunk deck, Rhea... loved it! This looks like another totally gorgeous creation. Wish I could see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful book! Looks like you had such a fun time creating it! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it, Rhea! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The deck is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like you've used a ton of technique and I wish I knew them all. You've made me want to go and create. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous... I saw this in person and it is wonderful.. love all the texture

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rhea - you packed this deck with all kinds of good stuff, didn't you??? LOVE it! xoxo, c

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW there is a ton of work in there it's just beautiful. Love all the textures and techniques and detailing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A really great book, very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. After seeing all the wonderful metal decks in your class from last year, and this new, beautiful deck that you made, I'm seriously thinking of taking one of her classes and learn to make a deck of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous work...glad I finally discovered you and your blog!!! What an inspiration!!!
    suZi

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!