Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tattered Floral Spring Box



This project is really an interesting revival for me.  The idea and the theme really echos my very first true mixed media assemblage, so it was fun to reinterpret for this challenge.  Tim Holtz recently posted a call to use his tattered floral steel rule die and I could not resist participating, and walking down memory lane.




The base of the project is a library drawer from 7 gypsies.  Lots of patina colored gilders paste was added to the wood as well as many other elements in the piece.  




Above you can really see some of the flower detail.  Lots of techniques were applied to get to the end result.  I used alcohol inks, gilders paste, embossing and distressing along the way.  The stems were free form sculpted before gluing down.




I just love the tiny cute little bunnies on either side of the sign.  The bird above was cut from some metallic plastic industrial waste that I altered with Vintaj patina and several layers of gilders paste.  




Here the embossed texture of the flower can really be seen.  The floral centers are Tim Holtz door knobs.  It was so hard to use them up, but I had to tell myself it was for a good cause.  I also love the butterflies I made with Graphic 45 butterflies, Dresden scrap and Tim Holtz pen nibs. 




I chose tissue tape to line the inside of the box.  This choice was made because I find it so easy to apply to the pesky edges.  It also helps to carry out the mixed media look. 





Just for fun, here is my first mixed media piece I was speaking of earlier.  For a bit more info here is the link to that post: Steampunk Springtime.

Thanks for stopping by as always.

Cheers, 

Rhea  


10 comments:

  1. I love love love the flowers! You should so do a tutorial on those (but only because I want to know how to make them too LOL). Great pieces!

    Hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous piece Rhea! Love all the wonderful details you put into the drawer, including those cute little bunnies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous breath of springtime! So clever using the nib as a butterfly body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work, Rhea - seems like we´re all SOOOO ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous bunch of art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very very cool! I love how you used the knobs for the flower centers. I really like the second piece in your post too - super cool! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful burst of spring, full of texture and color. Like Lynn, I really like the pe nib for the butterfly body.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful piece! I would not have thought to use the knobs as centers for the flowers, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your flowers are amazing, I love the knob centers (and the bird is awesome too..) so many fun details on it. Love the second one also (the colors and lots to look at... Gosh, a lot of time and love went into them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun to see two beautiful pieces. I love them both but that gorgeous blue on your latest piece is my favourite. Stunning work.

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!