Monday, October 28, 2013

Happy Haunting Houses


And fall is officially well under way!  The arrival of Halloween this week means that those cold cozy days will be upon us in no time. Graphic 45 challenged the team to come up with some easy Halloween decorating ideas and this is what transpired.  



For this project I was inspired to upcycle something I had in my existing stash.  These painted wood houses from a rummage sale had been on hand for quite some time and I knew they would be a perfect fit for this project.  Since I still have more on hand I am thinking I could do several season and change out the display.





To start, I simply covered each house in black gesso.  A layer of paper on each side made for a perfect base for my simple collage.  Notice how I chose to use the positioning of the paper to create a fence on the back side of the house.  




I used some acrylic paint on the edges to give the houses a bit of a grungy look.   It was so hard for me to use that starry paper.  I have been hanging on to the two sheets I have forever.  Alas, I now only have scraps.




The owl cuts outs are from Retro Cafe Art.  Kristen has a ton of cut outs that make for awesome artsy elements.




I hope you are inspired to look at some of your stash in a new way. 

Happy Halloween!  

Rhea



4 comments:

  1. So stunning Rhea! Love the colors! Thanks for the shout out :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both front and back are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love your tags! I saw these over on G45's blog, but, there is so much visual stimulation there, I get lost before I can make comments. I'm here from your link for the 'Homemade Holidays" Hop. So happy to have found you as your 'own entity'. I will be following you by email because I really enjoy your style.

    Thanks for deciding to become an artist who shares. It clearly is your calling, since you do it so very well.

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!