Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Printery Shadow Box


Wow, was I inspired with this one!  In this project I challenged myself to use lots of goodies from Prima Marketing.  The Printery paper line was the source of inspiration for this shadowbox.  




The base is a 7 Gypsies shadowbox tray. I chose to have the small cubbies on the side, as you can really orientate the tray in any way you want for different looks.  




I have paired a fair number of Prima metal trinkets and junkyard findings along with a few special treasures to make a fun nostalgic collection.





To achieve texture in this piece I chose to blend my edges and corners with a treatment of black glass glitter from Finnabair.  I love how this adds some sparkle, but still looks grungy and industrial.




I found myself drawn to using symmetry more than once as I pieced this together.  I framed out the outside corners of the box as well as the large inset. 




One trick that I often use to alter things is to layer them.  By adding the tiny gear inside of the hexagon and framing it out with the watch fobs, it created a whole different embellishment.  You can also see my layering technique below with the faucet wheels. 





The special touch of a few trinkets that are vintage also give this piece a bit more of a story.  A vintage clip, a skeleton key, found safety pins from button cards, anything like this can give a piece personal meaning.  I also love these old jacks and how the color has been worn off of them through years of play!

Cheers,

Rhea




6 comments:

  1. Stunning !!!!! What a fantastic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you were able to use so many wonderful bits. I love the jacks and Skelton key especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhea your shadow box is awesome. Love all the grungy pieces and metal bits. You are right the black glas glitter makes a great impact.
    Thank you for sharing your lovely project.
    Hugs from Monica.... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool!! Off to pin this!! :)

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!